Pages

Thursday 17 April 2014

GLOSSYBOX UK: APRIL 2014

Thursday 17 April 2014
Prepare yourself for a rant. It's about to get racial up in here, just saying.


I loved Glossybox when I first subscribed, but I've come to realise, as I pointed out in my overview of last month's box (link) that they don't cater to darker skinned women at all. I know that Glossybox is a huge company and obviously have to cater to the majority, but this box just takes the piss, I'm not going to lie.

Tresemmé Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo
I am black and I have no use for dry shampoo at all. For those interested, it has the trademark Tresemmé scent to it, but that is literally all the information I can give you about it.

MeMeMe Beat The Blues in Pink
What kills me is that I've wanted to try this for so long, but obviously I've been needing to get my hands on the gold one, not this pink one. I can try and make it work, which in itself annoys me because I'm sick of having to do all the hard work. Why can't I have products that do the work for me? Isn't that what I'm buying them for?

he-shi Face and Body Tanning Gel in Medium.
Okay, hold the phone. What am I supposed to do with this? Of all the summer-themes products you could have included, you pick tanning gel? This the third product which is specifically tailored towards a subjective group of people. It's not only that it's tanning gel, the shade gets me as well. There's too much of this "universal" and "one size fits all" ideology going on with Glossybox lately and to be completely honest I've had enough. Not only is this specifically for the paler skinned, this specific shade will be too dark for some and too light for some. This is just too colour-specific. This months entire box is too colour, or race, specific. 

There are two products that I'm not gutted to see, however. Though I don't have much good things to say about them either...

Emite Make Up Lip Brush
Let me tell you, the value of this box without this brush would be just over £20, and it's common knowledge that something we look into when committing to subscription services is the value of the box. Obviously someone at Glossybox thought that whacking in a £17 make up brush would make up for it. This is the third lip brush that I now own, so I'm not really appeased at all. I will say that the brush itself is beautifully soft and it is nice to own a higher-end make-up brush, but it's not something that I was in dire need of or have been aching to try.

Monu Spa Warming Ginger Massage & Body Oil
If you don't like ginger, you will hate this. I like ginger and I find it almost overpowering. It's labelled as a massage oil but the instructions do say you can tip some in the bath for some luxury aromatherapy. I won't be using this a night because of how invigorating I find ginger to be, nor with I use it in the day because I don't want to stink of ginger all day. Maybe on a lazy weekend then? 

All in all I am not impressed at all. What kills me is that this had the potential to be a well put together box, value aside. I can see the theme they've gone for and I really do like spring/summer makeup trends. However. I just won't get much use out of the products in this box at all; I would rather have saved my money and just bought the MeMeMe highlighter in the shade that I wanted in the first place; and I think it's ignorant to only cater to a specific race or colour. Beauty is supposed to be gender neutral and skin colour neutral as there is something for everyone. The only vibe I'm getting from Glossybox is that I don't fit their neat little box of what a woman, or a person in general, should look like. I feel like it's Wednesday and I'm wearing blue.

How do you feel about this month's Glossybox? Let me know via twitter @nelliephantt, or in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading! xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends! Pop a comment in the box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for stopping by :)

Makeup. Music. Mayhem. © 2014